System Design Engineer – Communication Systems
, Telecommunications Engineering
As part of an ongoing multi-billion Telecommunications project in Saudi Arabia my client is entering the next phase of the project life cycle and is seeking a Systems Design Engineer to produce end to end data network solutions.
Reporting to the Portfolio Engineering Manager, the Systems Design Engineer will help design and produce cost-effective and low-risk designs compliant with the end client’s requirements.
Primary objectives & functions:
- To design and integrate Fixed and Mobile Radio data networks of a system with MPLS based service provider network.
- To design Network Security and Network Management solutions
- To deliver communications solutions in accordance with established contractual obligations and company process and procedures (Design Review, Configuration Control, System Acceptance and Documentation).
- To manage Installation Design as appropriate in support of project objectives.
- Write network design requirements, scope of works, system design details and policies documents.
- Technical Lead of the end to end IP data communication system consisting of Fixed and Radio network elements.
- To assure the complete communication system design including Routing, QoS, Server Hosting, Storage and Security solution.
- Integration of the data communication system with the nationwide IP back bone.
- To produce and review technical proposals, risk assessments, acceptance procedures as appropriate.
- Ensure all design documentation is professional and of high standards and complete for technical transfer to the customer.
- Review sub-contractor proposals for design, installation, testing commissioning and acceptance testing.
- Provide engineering support for new and existing requirements
- Supervise sub-contractor works as appropriate.
Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Communications/Electronic Engineering plus desirable industry certification such as Cisco CCNP R&S or equivalent.
- TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS
- Knowledge of Radio Data communications, Microwave, VHF.
- Good understanding of Network Security principles e.g. Data Encryption, Layer 2 and 3 VPNs, Firewalls, IPS/ADS.
- Minimum of five years experience in network designing and implementation.
- Proven track record in similar role, working to tight timescales on large multi-element projects, and be able to demonstrate: Design across all layers of TCP/IP protocol suite, Strong understanding of network transmission technologies, Network Management
- Good standard of written and spoken English.
- Business experience in the Defense Sector.
- System Engineering Lifecycle experience
- Experience in major military network projects.
- Experience of living or working in the Middle East.